Wednesday, August 29, 2012

{Gluten Free} Banana Bread Homemade

Being gluten free hasn't been nearly as hard as one would think. Especially when I just think about my eating habits to be meat, dairy, vegetables and fruit. The craving for breads went away about 3 months in and I've tried some of the mass produced Gluten Free breads and just haven't found anything worth eating on a daily basis. 

SO I was cleaning up and realized I had 4 bananas about to go passed the Toddler edible stage so I hunted for Banana Bread or Muffin ideas and I ended up with my Uncles recipe which I was going to attempt using my Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose Flour. AH! Haven't made homemade bread of any kind in ages it feels like. It's been over a year since I gave up gluten all together.

Used my Stoneware which browned this baby perfectly!

Here we go! I did add a bit more to the recipe than my Uncles but that's just how I roll.





INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (approx 4 medium bananas)
1 1/4 cups sifted Gluten Free All-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/4 cup Applesauce
1/4 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup Mini Chocolate Chips

TO DO:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Cream together shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in banana and applesauce.
  3. Sift together dry ingredients
  4. Add banana mixture, chocolate chips and walnuts; mix well. 
  5. Pour into greased bread loaf pan, I used my Pampered Chef Stoneware Loaf Pan rubbed with Crisco. 
  6. Bake for approximately 50 minutes.
Mine was a little gooey inside but upon inspection it was just banana! I seriously could eat this entire loaf in one sitting and would get insanely fat overnight. Totally curbed a craving and I will live another day without being Glutened.










2 comments:

  1. It looks perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is perfect! The applesauce and the bananas totally kill the grainy taste of the Gluten Free flour which has been really hard to get over in other recipes. I'm so proud of myself and it will be even more amazing tomorrow toasted with butter!

    ReplyDelete